We know you don't really need these answers but, they're here just in case you want to check!
MEDWAY QUEEN JUNIOR CROSSWORD - ANSWERS
Across: 4 Starboard, 8 Bell, 9 Evacuees, 11 Keel, 12 Medway, 13 Bow, 15 Port, 17 Steward, 18 Bulkhead, 20 Gangway, 25 Heroine, 26 Heads, 27 Horn, 28 Telegraph, 30 Red, 31 SOS, 32 Minesweeper
Down: 1 Galley, 2 Wheel, 3 Chart, 4 Steam, 5 Arm, 6 Deck 7 Dunkirk, 8 Berth 10 Captain, 13 Bed, 14 Hull, 15 Paddles, 16 Sea, 17 Stern, 18 Buoy, 19 Ramsgate, 21 Anchor, 22 Green, 23 Rudder, 24 Compass, 26 Holes, 29 Gun
QUICK QUIZ ANSWERS
1. Where is Medway Queen berthed now? Gillingham Pier
2. In which year was Medway Queen launched? 1924
3. How was Medway Queen powered? Steam & Paddle Wheels
4. Where did the Captain guide the ship from? The ship's bridge
5. How is a ship like Medway Queen steered? By a rudder
6. What happened to Medway Queen in 1939? Joined Royal Navy
7. What sort of ship did Medway Queen become during the Second World War?
8. What colour was she painted in wartime? Grey
9. How many times did Medway Queen and her crew sail to Dunkirk in the evacuation? 7
10. Where was HMS Medway Queen’s biggest gun mounted? In front of the mast
11. What did Medway Queen do after the war? Seaside excursions
12. Which town on the other side of the Thames did Medway Queen sail to most often? Southend
13. What did day-trippers like to eat on Medway Queen? Fish & chips
14. What did Medway Queen do after her excursion trips stopped? Restaurant and club on the isle of Wight
15. Where was Medway Queen rebuilt in 2009-2013? Bristol
16. How did Medway Queen get back to Kent after that rebuild? Towed by a tug boat
17.In what colours is Medway Queen painted now? Black and white with a buff funnel
18. What is happening to Medway Queen in Gillingham? She is being restored
19. Who is doing the work on Medway Queen? MQPS volunteers
20. Would you like to come and see Medway Queen for yourself? Yes please!!
MASTER QUIZ ANSWERS
1. What was the date of Medway Queen’s original launching and which saint’s day is this? 23rd April 1924 St. George's Day
2. What were the names of Medway Queen’s pre-war captains?
Tommy Aldis and Bob Hayman
3. Which seaside towns were on Medway Queen’s regular excursion route?
Strood, Chatham, Sheerness, Southend, Herne Bay.
4. In which year was she converted for oil firing of her boiler? 1938
5. What was the date of HMS Medway Queen’s first trip to Dunkirk during the wartime evacuation? 27th May 1940
6. Who was Captain of HMS Medway Queen at the time of Dunkirk?
Lieutenant Alfred Cook RNR
7. From which ship did Medway Queen famously rescue the crew and soldiers in 1940? HMS Brighton Belle
8. How was Medway Queen protected from magnetic mines? By an electric "degausing coil"
9. What was HMS Medway Queen’s role in the latter stages of WWII?
Mine-sweeping training based at Granton, Edinburgh
10. In which year did Medway Queen restart her seaside excursion duties? 1947
11. What big event did the ship take part in in 1953?
Spithead Coronation Naval Review
12. When did Medway Queen retire from her excursion work? 1963
13. Where was The Medway Queen Club? Binfield, Isle of Wight
14. Who started The Medway Queen Club in 1965/66? Alan Ridett
15. When was Medway Queen brought back to the river Medway after being used as a club? 1984
16. Which organisation funded the rebuilding of Medway Queen’s hull?
Heritage Lottery Fund.
17. When did Medway Queen arrive at Gillingham Pier? 19th November 2013
18. On which days is Medway Queen usually open to the public? Saturdays
19. What is the lower aft saloon used for at present?
Historical exhibitions and displays.
20. What facilities does the MQPS have onshore?
A workshop and the Medway Queen Visitor Centre