As members will read in the Autumn 2018 issue of Full Ahead (about to be sent out) we have had continual problems with water getting in through the promenade deck. This makes work on the ship more difficult and damages what has previously been done. In one or two sensitive areas such as the electricity distribution board it poses a very real problem. Over the past years we have tried many solutions with varying degrees of success and yet another try is now in hand.
Mick A organised the troops - Ron L, Ron V, Bob D, William E & Phil J - and, making use of the dry weather today, they meticulously cleaned each length of deck-timber from the aft plated section to the Captain's Cabin. Once this has been completed they will begin the process of applying the new caulking material which is a rubber-like compound. You may be thinking this a deja vu moment. Well, yes, in a way. We have indeed discussed and attempted re-caulking with the material that came from Bristol and yes we found a number of problems when using it. However, the new material we are using is a rubbery compound and is applied differently, and more importantly, is in date!
The guys are very hopeful this new product will do the job and they'll be monitoring it over the next 12 months.